Snowy Soo

Winter Railroading.

Thursday 28 July 2016

Very cool: Lego gears for a modern roll-up door

No, I've not died or given up the hobby.

With a full-time job and two young children, my modelling comes in fits and starts ...  with long gaps in between, which is fine.

I have been working on the layout and plan to post an update this weekend. In the meantime, I thought I'd share this cool idea I spotted on Thomas Klimoski's excellent Georgia Northeastern layout.

On his layout, there's a modern building with a roll-up door that allows freight cars to be delivered inside. The difference is, he's got a door you can roll up by twisting a knob disguised as a roofing vent.

Best of all: it uses gears from a Lego Techniques set to drive the door mechanism. Very clever. A Model Railroader how-to article waiting to be written.

Check it out:




Thomas's layout is my favourite kind to check out: a room-sided modern-era layout that features industrial switching.

Here's an embed of a video tour of his layout.

Enjoy this and be sure to check out the rest of his videos.



No comments:

Post a Comment